Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Group Unique

Not always original but consistently odd...
I guess that would have been a good way of spinning it.  Something just wasn't quite wrong?

Not off beat just testing the tempo would be a good way to describe the journey.

A contradiction in the right direction?  Perhaps...

So where are we all meeting up tonight?  A question always asked as more of a formality with the old crew...  The Nameless Saloon or rather the Shameless Saloon at times.

The same old thing.  Just a bunch of us over-indulging and laughing till we went hoarse...
Reason for celebrating:  Tuesday or was it the passing of Monday?

On the way there I made the usual rounds.

stop by the ATM and if need be the Changestar machine (also known as the hey look at me I'm broke, and this really loud clanging you hear is me getting beer money machine).

Call the nearest brothers and see if they wanted to ride with.  Not so much did they feel like going but more the hey I am driving by your house it is Tuesday and I will take you there in boxers if you are not ready to go.

Tonight seemed different.  My mind again drifted to the thoughts of the pink and imprisoned.
What had they done that was so wrong?
I couldn't think of a good answer so I did the next best thing.  Called up the guys and told them I had to run an errand on the way there and to make sure and save my usual bar stool.


The parking lots were clear.  Only the entrance lights were on and the miniature train had long since been put away for the evening after schlepping a bunch of kids around huge circles around the Zoo and several other land marks.

I hope he got my text.  I was pulling a favor and little did I know our paths would cross again and again.

We grew up going to the same school and he had always been the kid bringing different critters to class for show and tell.  Now he was one of the overnight custodial engineers at the zoo.  He met me by the turnstiles and told me that if we got busted I would owe him allot more than a case of beer.

He held open the Wheel-chair access gate just wide enough for me to get my narrow nalgs in the park.

I made a bee line for the chain link enclosure and climbed like a deranged spider monkey till I reached the top and slid down the other side.  The noise was intense and I was surprised nobody ran to see what was going on.  The honking and clicking was intense and it took a bit to subside...  I grabbed the nearest adult I could find and held him till he calmed down a bit and threw my jacket over him.  The climb back up was insane.  Between his kicking and my attempts at not falling we somehow made it.
I ran for my truck with my pink refugee in tow.  His honking and flapping subsided when he somehow figured out that I was there to help.  The keepers would never notice if just one was missing.

Mission Accomplished!!!
I started the truck and looked at my now serene passenger and was less than a mile away when the thought hit me.

What the Hell do I do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment